CAT 2021 is the most sought exam of the year in India for MBA aspirants. One can also term it as a gateway to enter into the prestigious Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) across the country. It is a rigorous process of extremely competitive selection to evaluate a mind most capable for future in Business Administration. Here’s an insight of everything you need to know about this CAT 2021:
ABOUT THE EXAM
Common Aptitude Test abbreviated as CAT 2021 is an all India level entrance examination for MBA aspirants. It is conducted by various IIMs (Indian Institute of Management) across the country on rotation basis. CAT 2020 is a post graduate level examination which is held once every year. Candidates can seek admission in the 20 prestigious IIMs of the country through this exam which is often known as the hub of quality education for management and research. Many good B-schools also consider CAT score for admission. Its application process will start from 1st week of August 2021. CAT exam will be conducted on last week of November 2021. Candidates can consider CAT 2020 notifications for CAT 2021. They can also look for official notices from CAT official website (www.iimcat.ac.in).
GUIDELINES FOR THE EXAM
- www.iimcat.ac.in is the official website for CAT
- The exam is conducted only once in a year.
- Its application form start date is in 1st week of August 2021.
- The last date of submission of application form has been extended to 3rd week of September 2021.
- It will only be conducted in online mode.
- CAT syllabus will be divided into four sections i.e. Verbal Ability, Logical Ability, Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation.
- There will be seat reservation for SC/ST/OBC and PWD candidates as per the Government of India norms.
- Deserving students who are in need of financial support will also be provided scholarships.
- CAT score card will be valid for one year.
- Students will not be allowed to take physical calculator with them as on-screen calculator will be available.
- Clearing the CAT cut-off only make you eligible to seek admission in the 20 IIMs and does not guarantee admission.
- To seek admission in various IIMs a candidate needs to score good in Writing Ability Test (WAT), Group discussion (GP) and Personal Interview (PI) along with clearing the cut-off.
A list of various IIMs across the country-
|Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, (Gujarat)|
|Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, (West Bengal)|
|Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, (Karnataka)|
|Indian Institute of Management Lucknow, (Uttar Pradesh)|
|Indian Institute of Management Indore, (Madhya Pradesh)|
|Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode, (Kerala)|
|Indian Institute of Management Shillong, (Meghalaya)|
|Indian Institute of Management Raipur, (Chhattisgarh)|
|Indian Institute of Management Ranchi, (Jharkhand)|
|Indian Institute of Management Rohtak, (Haryana)|
|Indian Institute of Management Kashipur, (Uttarakhand)|
|Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli, (Tamil Nadu)|
|Indian Institute of Management Udaipur, (Rajasthan)|
|Indian Institute of Management Amritsar, (Punjab)|
|Indian Institute of Management Bodh Gaya, (Bihar)|
|Indian Institute of Management Nagpur, (Maharashtra)|
|Indian Institute of Management Sambalpur, (Odisha)|
|Indian Institute of Management Sirmaur, (Himachal Pradesh)|
|Indian Institute of Management Visakhapatnam, (Andhra Pradesh)|
|Indian Institute of Management Jammu, (Jammu & Kashmir)|
CAT: IMPORTANT DATES
Here are some of the important dates regarding various events related to CAT 2021-
|CAT Events||Important Dates|
|Application form start date||1st week of August 2021|
|Application form submission last date||3rd week of September 2021|
|Correction Window||Last week of September 2021|
|Admit Card availability||Last week of October 2021|
|CAT Online Exam date||Last week of November 2021|
|Result Declaration||1st week of January 2022|
Before you apply for the exam let’s look over the eligibility criteria–
CAT: ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
CAT is conducted by various IIMs on rotation basis that also sets its eligibility criteria. Aspirants must go through the official eligibility criteria so as to know whether or not are they eligible to apply for the exam.
- A bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years duration with at least 50% (or equivalent CGPA) from any University or Institution recognized by the HRD Ministry of Government of India.
- In case of candidates from Schedule Caste (SC), Schedule Tribes (ST) and People with Disabilities (PWD) the minimum percentage to be eligible is 45%.
- The minimum percentage to apply will remain 50% for OBCs.
- Final year students of a Bachelor degree course or equivalent qualification can also apply for the exam.
- These students will have to provide a certificate from the Principal or the Registrar of the University/Institution stating that the student has completed all requirements to avail a Bachelor’s degree.
CAT: APPLICATION PROCESS
- The application process will be started on 1st week of August 2021 .
- The last date for the submission of application form was extended till 3rd week of September 2021.
- The entire application process can only be completed through online mode.
- Payment of the fee can be done through Credit/ Debit cards and net banking.
- Once the payment is done a confirmation page will appear, get a print-out of that.
- In case of any discrepancy applicants can seek help from the Candidates Help Desk through this email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or this helpline number (1800 266 3549)
APPLICATION FEE STRUCTURE-
|General/ NC-OBC||Rs. 1900|
|SC/ ST and PWD||Rs. 950|
|Applicable additional charges will also be included in the final amount|
CAT: EXAM PATTERN
A candidate should go through the exam pattern thoroughly so as to obtain a better understanding of the exam. Here’s the detailed exam pattern for CAT-
|Mode of the Examination||Online Mode i.e. Computer Based Test|
|Duration||180 minutes 60 minutes provided for each section|
|Number of Questions||100 Questions Verbal Ability (34 questions) Quantitative Ability (34 questions) Data Interpretation and logical ability (32 questions)|
|Type of Questions||Multiple type questions (MCQs)|
|Subjects||Verbal Ability Quantitative ability Data Interpretation and logical ability|
|Total Marks||Total marks is 300 Verbal Ability- 102 Quantitative ability- 102 Data Interpretation and logical ability- 96|
|Marking Scheme||For every correct answer 3 marks will be awarded|
|Negative Marking||There is negative marking For every incorrect answer 1 mark will be deducted|
Courses through CAT-
To prepare well for the exam one must know the syllabus. CAT overall syllabus is based on these four sections i.e. Verbal Ability, Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning. The syllabus is set by the Indian Institute of Management.
CAT: ADMIT CARD
- Admit cards will only be available online.
- Candidates can download their Admit Card from the official website of CAT.
- It was made available on last week of October 2021.
- Admit can be downloaded from the website till the day of examination.
- To download the admit card candidates need to enter their unique ID and password.
- Details like Name of the candidate, Roll no. , Exam center, Exam timing and date will be mentioned in the admit card.
- Candidates are advised to keep their admit cards safe till the end of the admission procedure.
- No entry will be allowed in the examination hall without an admit card.
Steps to download admit card-
STEP 1: Visit the official website
STEP 2: Click on “CAT Admit Card”
STEP 3: A login window will appear, fill in the required details.
STEP 4: Click on Submit
STEP 5: Admit Card will be displayed
STEP 6: Download and Print the admit card
CAT: RESULT DECLARATION
- CAT result is expected to be available in the 1st week of January 2021.
- Result can be checked by the candidates on the official website of CAT.
- To generate the result a candidate needs to enter unique ID and other required details.
CAT: SCORE CARD
- The score card will be announced for different sections.
- It will be made available on the official website on the day of result declaration.
- Download the score card
- It will be valid for one year.
- The cutoff will be announced after the Result declaration.
- Each IIM will generate its separate cutoff.
- Clearing these cutoffs will make students eligible to seek admission in various IIMs across India.
- Though clearing the cutoff does not guarantee the admission.
Here’s the cutoff mentioned for different categories-
|Non-Creamy layer Other Backward Classes||65|
|People With Disabilities||50|
CAT: FINAL SELECTION
- Based on their score card candidates are shortlisted.
- Shortlisted candidates are then called for Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interviews (PI).
- Final selection is made on the basis of overall scores.